Tuesday, April 14, 2009

APR Flash Card: PR defined

As I prepared for my APR examination in 2007, I developed an extensive set of APR flash cards. I carried the cards with me everywhere in the weeks leading up to the exam, and grabbed a few minutes of study every chance I could. I still look over the cards occasionally. They are a nice reminder of something that makes me very proud: my APR, and they help keep fresh all the tidbits of information I deemed worthy of a flash card.

Here's your APR flash card of the day.
Category: Terms
Front: Public Relations
Back:
1. The various activities and commuications that organizations undertake to monitor, evaluate, influence and adjust to the attitudes, opinions and behaviors of groups/individuals who constitute their publics.
2. Helping an organization and its publics adapt mutually to one another.
3. Systematic communication of an organization with its publics.

Since studying for the APR exam, I've developed my own personal definition of PR. It borrows bits and pieces from other definitions and smooshes them together in way that defines PR for me. Public relations is the research, planning, communication and evaluation that continually propels an organization and its public toward a state of improved mutual understanding and respect.

Agree? Disagree? What's your definition of PR?

No comments: