Thursday, June 11, 2009

They Hate Me for Being Tall (See How Ridiculous That Sounds)

It seems plus sized women now think Ann Taylor is discriminating because the chain has cut size 16 from the stores (although it is still offered online). This article was pretty interesting. It explains the business decision behind such a move. If you read the comments you'll see many people still refuse to accept the "excuses."

If Ann Taylor is discriminating against big gals, then 95% of the stores out there are discriminating against tall ones (ridiculous, right?). At 5'9", it's nearly impossible for me to find a pair of pants and shirts all look like they are 3/4 sleeves (but, really I just have gorilla arms). It's not uncommon to find an entire section of petites or even plus sizes, but when have you ever seen an entire tall section? You haven't; they don't exist.

While this is frustrating, I refuse to jump on the crybaby-I'm-discriminated-against-bandwagon. I have an unusual size/shape, I got over that a long time ago. After a dozen years of shopping for this body, I've figured out where I can buy certain "problematic" items (slacks and blazers). And I, like the plus-sized ladies, am often forced to rely on catalogs. It's not a big deal.

Here I am looking very hot, if I do say so myself, (and very tall) in my orange Ann Taylor shift.

No comments: