We landed in Budapest at 6 pm. We didn't want to waste a minute, so as soon as we were settled (easy with no luggage!) we hit the streets.
On our first evening out we
- Bought passes and figured out the Metro
- Found a restaurant with nothing but an address and a map (we’re claiming victory here, but Google Maps failed us, as it often does abroad, and the addresses and street names are bizarro)
- Saw Heroes Square, a landmark monument, lit up at night
- Stumbled across a live concert where they release hundreds of balloons filled with glow lights
- Talked to actual Hungarians while waiting for the train
- And, most importantly, found our way back to the hotel in the dark.